Everett Public Library.

On an early summer evening in 1894, a group of local Everett women joined together in the home of Mary Lincoln Brown with a vision to “improve the mind through the study of literature.” With such a vision, the Everett Woman’s Book Club was formed; and as these women gathered, so did the books! The club collected dozens of volumes, petitioned the City Council for funds, and set up a temporary library in a member’s home until 1898 when they were granted three rooms in City Hall. Eventually, they received a Carnegie grant in 1905 to design Everett’s official city library. What was once a collection of 1,000 books is now our neighbor — today’s 250,000 volume strong Everett Public Library.